DIRECTIONS TO CLOUDBRIDGE
Your address at Cloudbridge
2 Km Este de Escuela
San Gerardo de Rivas
Pérez Zeledón, Costa Rica 11904
There are two types of taxis: informal taxis and official taxis (red, and have a black logo on the door). You should always choose official taxis for your safety and to ensure you pay the correct price.
Accommodation in San Jose/Alajuela
When arriving to Costa Rica by plane, most visitors stay the night in San Jose or Alajuela (a suburb of San Jose near the airport) before continuing the journey to Cloudbridge. Below are some recommended hostels and hotels.
- Casa Tago (private rooms)
- Alajuela Backpackers (dorm and private rooms, ask for free shuttle to/from airport)
- Hotel Los Volcanes (private rooms)
- Hostel Casa Del Parque (dorm and private rooms)
- Casa Colon (great for travel to Nicaragua)
- Costa Rica Backpackers Hostel (dorm and private rooms)
- Residence La Paz
- Alexis and James Calle 68 Avenida 9A Sabana Park, San Jose, Costa Rica
- 2232 3295 or 8321 2743
Step 1: Take a bus or taxi to the MUSOC bus terminal (terminal de MUSOC), Avenida 22 and Calle Central, downtown San Jose.
By Bus (requires a short taxi ride from one bus terminal to another)
- From a bus station (Parada De Autobus) at the airport or near your Alajuela accommodation, take a city bus to the bus depot in downtown San Jose.
- Ensure it is the correct bus by asking, ‘Para San Jose Central?’
- Cost: USD$1/600 colones
- Travel Time: 1 hr in normal traffic, 2 hrs if bad
- Take an official taxi (red with a black logo), queued on the street, to the ‘San Jose terminal MUSOC, Avenida 22 y Calle Central’
- Cost: USD$3.75/2000 colones
- Travel Time: Several minutes
- From the Airport or Alajuela accommodation, take an official airport taxi (orange & more expensive) or an official standard taxi (red with a black logo), to ‘San Jose terminal MUSOC, Avenida 22 y Calle Central’
- Cost: USD$25 - $30/18,000 – 20,000 colones
- Travel Time: 30 min. in normal traffic, or 1 hr if bad
Step 2: Take a bus from the San Jose MUSOC bus terminal to San Isidro del General.
- Schedule: Daily, 5:30AM to 6:30PM, every hour on the half hour (schedule may vary)
- Purchase ticket at window before boarding
- Cost: US $7/3500 colones
- Travel Time: 3 hours
- Larger bags are stowed safely under the bus
- Keep your valuables in a small bag with you at all times
- NOTE: The bus stops midway for a 15-min snack and bathroom break
- Arrive at: MUSOC bus terminal (intersection of Carr Interamericana and Calle 2)
Via Taxi (From San Isidro de General to Cloudbridge)
Taxi from San Isidro to San Gerardo de Rivas
- Cost: USD$30-$40/18,000 – 20,000 colones,
- Travel Time: 30 minutes
- Due to the condition of the road, most taxis will only take you to San Gerardo de Rivas
- If they agree to take you all the way to Cloudbridge, the taxi must have 4x4 (cuatro por cuatro)
Step 1: In San Isidro, transfer from MUSOC bus terminal (or other, depending on where you are coming from) to municipal bus terminal (Terminal de Buses Municipal)
Transfer Bus Station via Taxi
- Take Taxi from MUSOC bus terminal to Terminal de Buses Municipal (intersection of Calle Central and Avenida 6).
- Cost: US$2/1000 colones.
- Travel Time: 5 min
- NOTE: Don't listen to anyone saying the bus has already left, is not running that day, that you need a reservation, etc.
Transfer Bus Station via Walking
- Travel Time: (10 mins)
- Travel downhill along the highway
- Turn Right at McDonalds
- Pass the cathedral square
- The municipal bus terminal is blue and will be on your right
- Arrive: Intersection of Calle Central and Avenida 6
- NOTE: The CoopeAgri grocery store is across the street from bus station.
Step 2: Take bus from San Isidro Terminal de Buses Municipal to San Gerardo de Rivas.
- Schedule: Monday – Saturday: 5:45 AM, 8:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 2:30 PM, 5:30 PM, 8:00 PM
- Schedule: Sunday and Holidays: 8:30AM, 11:30 AM, 2:30PM, 6:00PM
- Find bus to San Gerardo de Rivas:
- The municipal bus terminal is shaped like an ‘L’,
- The bus to San Gerardo de Rivas leaves from the Ave 6 side, near Calle 2, the 2nd bay from the end
- Scrolling sign on the side of the bus reads ‘San Isidro-Sinai-Rivas-Guadalupe-Chimirol-Canaan-San Gerardo’.
- Cost: 1,300 colones
- Travel Time: 1 hour
- Purchase ticket on bus
- San Gerardo de Rivas is the last stop
Step 3: Walk from San Gerardo to Cloudbridge.
- Walk up the road from where the bus drops you off
- Veer right at the fork (follow the signs for Cloudbridge)
- Cloudbridge is at end of the road
- Travel Time: 30-45 mins
- NOTE: You must have a 4x4 vehicle or a high clearance 2-wheel drive. The road to Cloudbridge is very steep and rough.
- Travel Time: 3 hours
- Travel south of San Jose on the Inter-Americana highway to San Isidro del General.
- Pass turn for Downtown San Isidro - 1 km
- After bridge, follow brown Chirripo Nat'l Park signs
- Bear left at the traffic light (Maxi Pali store on left)
- Continue to Rivas (10 km)
- Turn right just before the pavement ends, staying on the pavement (follow the sign to Chirripo National Park) toward San Gerardo de Rivas (about 11 Km).
- In San Gerardo de Rivas, continue past the church and onto gravel road
- Veer right at the fork
- Continue until the road ends